How to open a screw down caseback
Opening a watch back is simple as long as you have the right tools to open it. We will be discussing how to open a watch with a screw down case back.
You can tell that a watch has a screw-down case back by looking at the back of the watch. If the caseback has notches evenly spread out on the back of the watch then you know that the watch has a snap down caseback.
- Watch Case Wrench
- Watch Case Holder
- Before you start, you may need to remove the watch band/bracelet, so that your tools can fit on the watch back.
- Place the watch case on a secure surface to prevent it from moving with a watch holder or similar device to protect it and hold it steady during your work.
- Now, you need to make sure the case wrench fits securely in the notches of the case back. Using the thumb screw control between the tips, open the wrench's notches wider than the case of the watch. Then, with one tip in a notch, tighten the wrench until both tips fit snuggly in the notches of the case back.
- When the tips are in securely in place in the watch case back notches, you can begin to unscrew the watch back. Grip the watch holder to keep it from moving and begin turning the case wrench counter clockwise to open the watch case.
- Once the case back has been significantly loosened, you can remove the wrench and lift the back off with your fingers.